Is Staying In Your Comfort Zone Holding You Back?
You’ve probably heard someone talking about "getting out of our comfort zone". But have you ever thought about why you should? After all, our comfort zone is where we feel in control and safe. It’s where we can predict what will happen and how we will feel.
So why would you feel compelled or even want to get out of your comfort zone? Getting out of your comfort zone is the key to your personal growth and happiness. Stepping out of that zone helps you build up your self-confidence and the way you view yourself.
Is being in the Comfort Zone holding you back?
Being in your comfort zone and staying there is keeping you from realizing and achieving what you desire. Staying safely within your comfort zone keeps you from being challenged.
Here are 3 ways staying in your comfort zone is holding you back.
It’s keeping you from growing personally.
When you are afraid of something, staying in your comfort zone keeps you from facing that fear. Then you suffer from it forever or until you do face it. You stay away from situations that would put you in a position of having to face the fear in order to overcome it.
For example, your fear of public speaking keeps you from taking a job that requires you to speak in front of others, even though it’s a step up on your career ladder.
You comfort zone is keeping you from being happy.
Maybe you struggle with self-confidence and self-esteem issues. These problems can grow unless you take steps outside your comfort zone to begin addressing them. Stepping outside your comfort zone helps you build confidence in your self and see yourself in a better light.
When you are confident and have good self-esteem, you are happier. For example, if you’re not confident in your abilities, you tend to stay in your comfort zone instead of trying something new. This drags down your confidence making you feel less competent and making you unhappy.
Staying in your comfort zone can make you feel trapped and unhealthy.
Often our comfort zone keeps us doing bad habits out of fear. You might want to be more active, run a marathon, feel less aches and pains and go on adventures. But to do any of these things means doing something that is outside your comfort zone.
For example, you want to run a short marathon. It’s always been a dream of yours, but you procrastinate and make excuses why you can’t. You’re too out of shape. You don’t have time. You’re too old. But the real reason is because you are afraid to get out of your comfort zone and begin training with a trainer. As a result, you continue to eat unhealthy, gain weight, lose muscle tone and put your dream on the back burner until eventually, you’re health becomes a problem.
When we stay in our comfort zone, we are holding ourselves back from living a life we love, from being happy and from growing. We end up letting our fears rule.
ROY T BENNETT | AUTHOR
Change begins at the end of your Comfort Zone
The comfort zone is a psychological state in which one feels familiar, safe, at ease, and secure. You never change your life until you step out of your comfort zone; change begins at the end of your comfort zone.
What's Wrong With Staying In Your Comfort Zone?
Why do we stay in our comfort zone? Because our comfort zone is the stress-free zone we are used to. It’s what is familiar. It’s also the place where we are the most dissatisfied with our life.
When we stay in our comfort zone, we are forcing ourselves to stay stagnant. We’re afraid to change for fear of what could happen. Our brains are trained to keep us safe so we stay in our comfort zone instead of facing the unknown.
Staying in our comfort zone though can cause problems as well. Here are 8 reasons why staying in your comfort zone might impact on your life.
- Not reaching your goals. If you stay in your comfort zone, you are less likely to follow through on reaching your goals. Your fear, procrastination, or any other excuse keeps you from taking action toward your goal.
- Lack of growth. Staying in your comfort zone will probably keep you from growing into more than you are right now. You’ll always be stuck, never going forward and never growing and changing. You might end up not achieving your goals because you’re stuck on doing things the same way you’ve always done them, even when you’re not seeing any results. You don’t step out of your comfort zone to explore what you’re capable of doing or what you can accomplish.
- No or lost passion. Staying in your comfort zone makes it harder for you to discover your passion. Your passion can only be found outside your comfort zone.
- Feeling left behind. When you stay in your comfort zone you will feel like you are being left behind your colleagues and others you relate to. They might have been behind you in terms of your life or career but because they stepped out of their comfort zone, they have passed you by.
- Settling for less. By continuing to live in your comfort zone, you push yourself to settle for less than you desire. You put your passion or things you love aside.
- Your self-confidence lags. When you don’t move out of your comfort zone, you aren’t building the confidence you need to grow and take on new challenges.
- Your health suffers. Sometimes when you are not getting out of your comfort zone you aren’t taking care of your health either. It can be from fear of going to the doctor, not wanting to change your routines, avoiding going to the gym for some reason such as being looked at or trying something different.
- You’ll be unprepared for changes. You are inflexible and set in your ways when you stick to your comfort zone. Life can be difficult, throwing all kinds of things at you. Things can happen that will pull you out of your comfort zone even if you don’t want to. Staying in your comfort zone keeps you from being open to new possibilities.
The reasons we stay in our comfort zone are the same ones that we should be using to step out of our comfort zone. Staying your zone may feel comfortable but it’s wrong to limit yourself to settling for mediocrity.
Benedict Cumberbatch| ACTOR
Not to be in your comfort zone is great fun.
The further you get away from yourself, the more challenging it is. Not to be in your comfort zone is great fun.
Finding Your True Self
During the times you step outside your element, you experience who you really are. It’s about facing our fears and doing things we are passionate about.
We often live our lives with the “I cannot,” “I don’t want to,” or “it’s too difficult” thoughts that keep us stuck and unhappy. It’s only until we realize that when we stop letting our negative thoughts control us, that we find our true self.
Stepping into the unknown is frightening, the place just beyond where we can see the outcome of doing it. That’s the part that makes our hearts pump faster, make us break out into a cold sweat and yet, we yearn to see what’s there.
Staying in our comfort zone keeps us from stepping into that unknown. It keeps us secure and safe. Your comfort zone is the basis of your life now. It’s how you define who and what you currently are.
But what would happen if you stretched outside that zone? Would bad things happen? Or would you suddenly be excited about life?
Charles F. Glassman| AUTHOR
Fear and anxiety indicates that we are moving in a positive direction
Fear and anxiety many times indicates that we are moving in a positive direction, out of the safe confines of our comfort zone, and in the direction of our true purpose
Step out of your Comfort Zone
How do you know if you should step into the unknown? Now would be a good time to jot down your thoughts about where you are now, what your dreams and ambitions are, what's holding you back and to make a plan on what to do next.
Use the Comfort Zone Workbook to help guide you through this process.
Now that you've completed the Comfort zone Workbook you should have an idea of the areas which you want to take action on. Use this information to help you set goals that really matter to you. Remember, your goals should be yours and not someone else's, and, it's likely that your goals will need to take you out of your Comfort Zone.
No matter what you choose or how many goals you have, you can reach them if you're dedicated and committed to making them happen.
Follow these tips to help you achieve your goals:
Keep your focus. Keep a picture of the life you desire at the forefront of your mind. When frivolous things try to distract you, as they will, remember to make choices according to what's really important to you.
Take action toward your goal every day. Each day, find something you can do that will bring you a little closer to meeting your goal.
- When challenges arise, getting discouraged won't change anything, so seek solutions that can put you back on track. Just stay focused and adjust your plans as necessary.
Be open to change. Your goals aren't set in stone. If you choose to change what you're focused on and set a new goal, that doesn't mean you've given up on your goals. It only means you've seen that your goals need to change, just as you change. That's a sign of growth and wisdom.
Set realistic timelines. Some goals can be met in a day or a week, but larger goals often take months or years. When you set goals, it's important to be realistic about how long you expect them to take.
- If it's too far away, you might procrastinate, or you may not start at all.
- If it's too soon, you'll be frustrated and discouraged if you don't make your deadline.
Divide your goal into small steps. Another great way to reach your goals is to divide big goals into smaller ones. Each small goal is one step, or one task, on the way to achieving your ultimate goal.
- Set individual deadlines for these small steps. This way, you'll always be moving forward, one step at a time.
- For example, if your goal is to own your own business, there are things you'll need to look into like licensing, income, credit, location, and others. Each one of these tasks is one step. You could also subdivide these steps into even smaller goals.
Avoid giving up. Many people give up on their goals just before they reach them, not even realizing how close they were. Never give up! You may be closer than you think.
These strategies will enable you to not only reach your goal, but also enjoy the journey along the way - all without getting overwhelmed!
Good Luck x
Prof. Vinícius Montgomery de Miranda| PROFESSOR
No obstacle is strong enough to stop those who trust in a purpose
No obstacle is strong enough to stop those who trust in a purpose. Winners are not infallible, but instead they use the impulse of small setbacks as opportunities to polish their skills, leave the comfort zone and move forward with determination towards the success